Moving can be a chore, but there are ways to make the task easier. From paring down your belongings to packing things with forethought, your move to Sarasota, Florida will be easier if you use these packing tips.
Related Blog: 10 Moving Tips When Relocating to Florida
- Make a master list - Make a checklist of things to do. You can also make a second, room-to-room list of what has to be done.
- Time to pare down - Moving is a great time to get rid of some of those old clothes and gadgets that haven’t been usable for years. The less you have to pack, the easier moving will be.
- Protect and insure valuables - Valuables such as coins or jewelry need special attention. Pack your valuables inside another box that contains more mundane items, or keep them with you during the move. Purchase moving insurance for everything, especially valuable items.
- Transporting drawers - An easy way to transport drawers is to pull them out and put each one into a pillowcase or trash bag. That way, even if the drawer gets spilled, its contents will remain in one place.
- Moving hanging clothes easily - Hanging clothes are a breeze to move if you group items together and pull a trash bag down over the hangers. Using string or tape, fasten the hangers in a bag together for easy handling.
- Front to back / Back to front - Pack from the front of your home to the back, so that you won’t have to maneuver around things as you are unpacking the truck.
- Label everything - Label every box and container with masking tape and colored markers. Using color coding allows you to see at a glance where a particular box needs to be put as it is unpacked.
- Packing electronics - Draw a diagram to show how your electronics are wired before you pack them, or take pictures for reference. Planning ahead can save you time and frustration later on.
- Beds and mattresses - Mattresses and box spring are bulky items that can be easily damaged in moving. If your mattress is more than 8 years old, it is already nearing the end of its lifespan, so buying a new one might be a better choice than allocating space for the old one.
- Plan for the first night - Pack a cooler and a box with everything you need for one night. That way, you won’t have to rush around to do necessary things like feeding your pets.