High-quality sleep is key to feeling healthy and energetic throughout your day. Getting sufficient levels of magnesium can noticeably enhance your sleep quality.
Related Blog: Best Natural Sleep Aids
Around 50% of Americans don't consume enough of this essential mineral. Many of them have no idea that this deficiency could be behind their sleep problems.
Let's take a closer look at the importance of magnesium for sleep quality.
What Is Magnesium?
Magnesium is a vital mineral that supports many important processes in your body including:
- Energy production
- Nerve function
- Bone development
- Muscle health
- Blood sugar control
You can find this mineral in leafy greens, nuts, seeds, and whole grains. However, many people don't get enough magnesium naturally. This leads to a deficiency that affects many body functions, including sleep.
Benefits of Magnesium for Sleep
Research shows that healthy magnesium levels can improve your quality of sleep in several ways:
- Relaxation – Magnesium activates your parasympathetic nervous system, the system responsible for reducing stress and boosting relaxation. By strengthening this system, you’ll be able to wind down faster and improve your sleep quality.
- Melatonin Production – Magnesium helps produce and regulate melatonin, the sleep hormone. By supporting the release of melatonin in your body, you’ll be more in tune with your natural sleep patterns.
- Muscle Relaxation - Magnesium has natural muscle-relaxing properties that can prevent you from waking up because of cramps or muscle tension.
- Reduction of Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) symptoms - RLS is a condition that creates an irresistible urge to move your legs, often accompanied by uncomfortable sensations. Magnesium supplements may alleviate RLS symptoms during the night and help you fall asleep faster.
- Cortisol Reduction – Higher levels of cortisol, a stress hormone, interfere with your sleep quality. Studies show that higher levels of magnesium lead to lower cortisol levels, and a more restful night’s sleep.
While more research needs to be done to explore how magnesium can help you sleep, some experts believe that the improvement occurs because this mineral affects the benzodiazepine receptor in the brain. This helps quiet down brain activity and alleviates insomnia.
How to Choose a Magnesium Supplement
Factors to consider before buying a magnesium supplement:
- Formulation – Consider if you prefer taking your supplements as a capsule or tablet or as a liquid or powder form. Aside from personal preference, different forms can affect how the mineral is absorbed in your body. Explore what works best for you and keep track of any side effects.
- Dosage – The healthy daily intake of magnesium varies depending on gender and age. For men, the recommended dose is 400 mg – 420 mg. For women, it's 310 mg – 320 mg. If you have a magnesium deficiency, it’s recommended that you take a higher dose for a few months before switching to a lower dose. To determine the best way to increase magnesium levels in your body, consult your doctor or physician.
- Interactions – Magnesium supplements may interact with other medications. Consult your doctor about possible interferences.
- Brands- Since the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) doesn't regulate dietary supplements, make sure your magnesium supplement carries a USP and NSF seal. These organizations test and verify the quality of supplement products. There’s a wide range of accessible and verified brands that you’ll be able to find at your local pharmacy.
Working Towards a Good Night's Sleep
Looking into your magnesium levels and sleep environment are important steps to take to achieve better sleep health. To find out if you have a magnesium deficiency and determine the proper supplement dosage, please talk to a healthcare professional.
Like magnesium, a good quality mattress can foster relaxation and prevent muscle tension. At Land of Sleep, we have a wide selection of high-quality mattresses designed specifically to help you sleep better and wake up energized every day. Visit us for a new mattress today!